Kale Pockets!

I know the name is lame, but if you sing it like the commercial for those other pockets, it sounds way more delicious.

yea, it doesn't, but I made you sing it, didn't I?

Back to the Kale!

I got my CSA share today , and it came with a big bunch of lacinato kale - which always looks so healthy and green, and usually ends up waaaaay in the back of my veggie-overloaded fridge. I was determined to actually do something tasty (and healthy!) with it, so started rummaging through my one-butt* kitchen for something to put it with.

*my kitchen is small, and there have been collisions, so the one-butt rule was implemented.

Once again, back to the KALE:



1 bunch kale (lacinato, or whatever. are there other kinds? don't know...) cleaned and chopped
1 large brown onion, chopped coarsely
1 kitchen spoon full of crushed garlic
1/2 cup grated mizithra cheese (yes, I actually did have this lying around. I have this THING about the stuff at spaghetti factory, and never got around to trying that, so it was there. And yea, it expired in 2007. But it's an AGED cheese, right? Right?!?)
1/2 cup grated parmensan (try to avoid the green can. please.)
1/2 cup roasted pine nuts
2 teaspoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Pie crust - you know, the kind that comes all folded up. Trader Joe's has it now, so no excuses. Thaw it per instructions if it's frozen.

Preheat the oven to 350.

Heat a large saute pan on medium-hig, then add the olive oil. When the olive oil is hot, add the onion, and cook till golden.



When the onions are almost done, add the crushed garlic:



Stir in, let cook for a minute with the onions, then add the kale and stir (you may have to add it a handful at a time and let it cook down until it all fits in the pan). Add a bit of salt and pepper, and taste - but keep in mind that both cheeses you're adding next are salty, so don't oversalt at this point. Once the kale is cooked down and is very limp, take it off the heat, and add the two cheeses:



and the pine nuts:



And taste it in case it needs more salt or pepper:



Split the pie crust into 4 pieces - mine kinda ended up that way because I'm too impatient to thaw it. Put on a parchment covered cookie sheet

Ignore the kitty asking for a taste:



Divide the kale mixture between the pie crust pieces, and fold them over like turnovers.



Seal the sides, and poke a few steam holes in the tops of each:



Bake for about 30 minutes:



Now sing with me everybody! Mmmm... Kale Pockets!!

Comments

Post a Comment