Red Thai Curry with Shrimp

Red Thai Curry with Shrimp 

The first time I tried to make a red Thai curry, I tried to go by color - I wanted the deep red, coconut-flavored sauce that I got at my regular Thai food place. The result was a crazy spicy dish that my dude ate with gusto, but that made me weep and sweat like Homer Simpson. 

Have I mentioned there was weeping?

So, it took me awhile before I went back - but I was determined. Here's the result:

What you need:

1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil 
1 pound of fresh shrimp
1 red bell pepper, chopped in strips or chunks
1/2 to 1 cup minced shallots
1-2 tablespoons minced ginger
1 can coconut milk
2 tablespoons of Thai Red Curry Paste - I use Mae Ploy
1-2 limes, zested and juiced (zest first, then juice!)
Fresh Cilantro
Fresh Basil 

Start with a fairly hot pan, and add the oil. Next, add the shallots, ginger, and red bell pepper. Once they start wilting, add the red curry paste - stir for a few minutes until very fragrant, but not burnt: 



















then add the coconut milk. 











Bring the pan up to a boil, then reduce and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add the shrimp, and cook for 2-3 minutes until pink.  
 











Add in the lime zest. Before serving, toss in a handful each of chopped cilantro and basil. Serve over brown jasmine rice.

Enjoy!


Comments