Accidental Lemon Orzo Salad

I had promised lamb chops for dinner last night, and initially was just going to make a batch of brown rice in the rice cooker. However, *someone* used the rice up trying to save a phone, and I don't think post-phone rice is a thing... 

So, I dug around into my pasta box, and found a pound of orzo. Rice pilaf? naaaahhh...

Here's what I came up with, which turned out delicious by accident, using what I had in the house:

Ingredients:

1 pound dried orzo - cooked al dente and put in a cold water bath directly after 
3 or 4 Persian cucumbers - cubed 1/4 to 1/2 inch
2-3 meyer lemons - zested then juiced (any lemons will work - I just had some meyers)
1/4 cup olive oil, lemon if you have it
1/4 to 1/2 red onion, sliced finely lengthwise 
Lemon chevre (mine was something like this brand & size: http://www.peacockcheese.com/catalog/cheese/united-states-artisan-cheeses/goat-mini-log-lemon-zest) 
1 bunch italian parsley, chopped fine
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all of this in a bowl, chill, and try not to eat it in one sitting
Accidental Lemon Orzo Salad

With a Tasty Lamb Chop & Green Bean Salad

Comments