Super tasty Quiche

We ALWAYS end up with too many green veggies in our fridge - and this time, before sacrificing them to the produce trash gods, I decided to try and make a quiche. I'd used various recipes, with varying results, but I wanted more of a template than a specific recipe. 

Wonderfully, I found this:

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-a-fool-proof-quiche-168459

This article goes through the steps to make a perfect quiche no matter what ingredients you've got - the perfect thing for using what you have! 

So here's what I did:

1. Used a store bought crust, poked holes in the bottom and pre-baked for about 20 minutes. When it was very light brown, I pulled it and put it into the fridge to cool down

2. I had two elderly leeks - peeled several outer layers off, cut them lengthwise, then into little slices, then aggressively washed them in my salad spinner - these bad boys were pretty dusty. 

3. Took a whole onion, sliced it in have stem to tip, then again through the midline, and slices into about 1-1/2 inch strips.

For the two items above, put them each in pans with a glug of olive oil over medium heat, and stirred occasionally. The onions were done when they were a light carmel brown, and the leeks were done when they were soft. Both got put onto a dinner plate to cool down.

4. Had a big bag of "power greens" - sliced them up and heated them to wilted in a non-stick pan on high, took about 3 batched to wilt it all, and ended up with about 1 cup of cooked greens. I spun the cooked greens in a salad spinner to get as much water as possible out. 

5. Sliced about a half-pound of bacon into 1 inch strips, put in a small pan over medium heat, and again, stirred occasionally until the strips were crispy. Pulled them out of the fat with a mesh spoon, and left to cool over paper towels. 

6. Whisked together two eggs, 3/4 cup whole milk, and 1/4 cup cream with 1 & 1/2 teaspoon of salt.

7. I grated three cheeses - cotswald, swiss, and gruyere. - all said, i used about 1 cup total

Assembly:

1. Toss a layer of cheese in the bottom of the cooked & cooled crust
2. Layer in fillings - I did onions, leeks, bacon, greens
3. Top with rest of cheese
4. Carefully pour egg/dairy mixture over toppings - it will fit as long as you didn't pack the other fillings too high (I used about half of the toppings I made, and have the rest in the fridge to make a 2nd quiche!)
5. Bake at 350 for about 30-40 minutes - to be safe, put your pie tin on a cookie sheet in case the filling bubbles over. 



Enjoy! 

Comments