Steak Salad

The other day, I was craving both red meat and green vegetables, and decided to try my hand at a steak salad. I wandered around the internet, and found most recipes called for grilling the steak. This wasn't an option for me; since I got a dog, the balcony belongs to him, and my gas barbecue is tucked away to make sure he doesn't chew the wires.

Yes, he is very very fond of unattended wires. Sorry about that, Dish Network.



Anyway, I picked up a porterhouse for the experiment (I'm not super familiar with cooking beef, so didn't want to waste something more expensive) and got two bags of greens - one of rocket (wild arugula) and the other a mix of butter lettuce and radicchio. I also wanted a bit of cheese involved, but wasn't feeling up to the strength of a blue or Gorgonzola. (Is Gorgonzola a blue? I can never remember...) Anyway, Trader Joe's had a little tub of crumbled goat cheese, which sounded perfect - mostly creamy with a bit of a tang to it. For the crunch, I went with some chopped walnuts.

For the steak - I mixed some crushed garlic with Worcestershire sauce (thank you spell-check!) and put it in a bowl with the steak along with salt and freshly ground pepper (next time I think I'll use a plastic bag - that bowl is still sitting in the sink). I heated up a pan on high and added a few swirls of olive oil, then laid the steak down. It browned up nicely, but was still very undone in the middle, so I put it into the oven for about 10 minutes at 400. If you like it rare, that step might not be required, but I'm a medium-well done girl, so had to banish some pink.

While the steak was in the oven, I combined a few handfuls of each type of lettuce, about 2-3 tablespoons of the goat cheese, and about the same amount of walnuts. When the steak was done, I sliced it thinly, and laid half of it on the salad. I tossed it all with an oil and vinegar Italian dressing:

Comments