Stuffed Stuff

So a few weeks ago, I had some spicy Italian sausage that really needed to be cooked that evening. I was tired of making spaghetti with meat sauce (from the jar - I'm not *that* fancy), so I sat in front of the open fridge, pondering my options. What I saw:


some baby bella peppers that were thisclose to being off
a plastic container of brown rice from the week before 
a few leftover bits of shredded cheese


Hmmm. I turned around in my one-butt kitchen:


onions - check
garlic - check


And the coolest thing - I HAVE HERBS! That's right, ole black thumb here has managed to NOT kill a whole passel of green stuff on the balcony. The secret? Get a dog, and work from home. Trust me, you will be antsy as all git out to wander from your desk, and your dog will need to, well, you know. It's a happy coincidence that while you're out there not watching the dog take care of things, you'll see your pretty green plants, and take a few minutes to water, trim, and chat with them. 


Did I say with? I meant at. At. They do *not* talk back. Ahem. 


Back to the food!! 


So - I decided, "Hey Evil, why don't you stuff some stuff?"


The peppers were the first try - but this mixture would be amazing with other stuff-able stuff - zucchini? Eminently stuff-able. Tomatoes? Oh, they long to be stuffed, truly. Onions? HECK Yes! 


Here are the deets:


1 package (about a pound) un-cooked spicy italian sausage
Something stuff-able
1 medium onion, chopped finely 
1-2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
1 handful of fresh herbs, chopped - I ended up with about 1/2 Italian parsley, Rosemary, Sage, Thyme, Marjoram and a bit of Thai Basil 
2-3 cups of brown rice
1/4 - 1/2 cup shredded cheese


Swig a bit of olive oil into a large saute pan on medium-high heat, and put the sausage in, casings removed. Cook, crumbling the sausage, until browned. Add the chopped onion and garlic, cook until the onion is translucent, then add the chopped herbs. Give the mixture a taste at this point - it may need salt and pepper. Once you're good taste-wise, turn the heat off. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, then add most of the cheese to the mixture, stirring it to melt. 

In a baking dish, arrange whatever you'd like to stuff - for me, it was the baby bella peppers, cut length-wise and cleaned. Spoon the sausage and rice mixture into the stuffables, and use whatever cheese is left to sprinkle over the tops. 






Pop that pan in the oven, and 15-20 minutes later - Boosh!!  Delicious stuffed thing! 


Serve, and enjoy! 



Comments